I’m Dr. Hassan, a Board-Certified Physiatrist and Independent Practice Owner. I help physiatrists start and grow their own profitable practices so they can achieve financial independence and live without limits.
As a self-employed physiatrist, time is of the essence. That means we must find ways to be more efficient with our time, to free time for us to do different things. We all have too many priorities and too little time to do them justice.
You can create more free time in your life by asking yourself a few questions. Questions are powerful because they focus your attention and generate solutions. You just have to ask the right questions.
Ask yourself these questions to free your time and create more space in your life:
1. What are my three greatest distractions? The most common distractions and time wasters are often electronic in nature. Your cell phone, laptop, and the television can leave you wondering where the time went. Other distractions might include an annoying neighbor, an organization that requires so much of your time, or frequent headaches. Think of ways to eliminate or minimize distractions and spend your time in a more meaningful way.
2. Am I making the best use of my free time I already have available? When you do have free time, how do you use it? Consider both the small blocks of time you have available throughout the day and the larger segments of time that you have free. If you’re waiting for a meeting to start, how do use that time? Are you using your time in the car as productively as possible? You can use that time to make phone calls or listen to an educational podcast. Examine all the spare time you have each day and resolve to use it more productively.
3. What are the three greatest distractions I have at work? An overly chatty partner might be neutralized with headphones. You can also turn off the ringer on your phone. Think of the distractions you face and create solutions.
4. What are my priorities? Make a list of your work and personal priorities. You can’t focus your time if you’re unaware of your priorities. You can focus your attention by reminding yourself of your priorities each and every day.
5. What are the optional activities in my life? Make a list of everything you do in your life that’s optional–from watching TV to playing softball on the weekends, etc. Some of those activities add to your life in meaningful ways; others don’t. Which of those activities are you willing to give up to create more space in your life?
6. How can I simplify my life? How many blogs, magazine subscriptions, and podcasts do I follow? Are they all worth the time? How often do you check your email? Is that more often than necessary? Can you hire someone such as a virtual assistance to help offload these tasks? In terms of housework, are you mowing your grass or cleaning your house yourself? Can you get rid of a few possessions that are taking up time and space in your life?
7. What would I do if I had more free time? How do you spend that time? With whom would you spend that time? If you could identify how you want to spend your free time, you might become more motivated to create more free time in your life. Are you lacking enough time to enjoy life?
It’s time to set priorities and reduce distractions. Decide what is most important to you, then determine how you’re using your time and if you’re using it efficiently. Ask yourself the important questions that will allow you to make meaningful changes. Free up your time for your priorities. You’ll be glad you did it.
I am Dr. Hassan, Board-Certified Physiatrist and Independent Practice Owner. I help physiatrists start and grow their own independent practice so that they can achieve financial independence and live without limits. Please go to profitablepracticeplan.com to pick up a copy of my book where I outlined other important steps to manage your time more efficiently and make you more productive.
Are you feeling unmotivated, pessimistic, and discouraged about your future? Check out our blog here on how to boost your attitude for success.
Attention, Physiatrists! Stop leaving money on the table. Sign up for the free video series: How To Build A Profitable Practice in 90 Days or Less: http://www.sixtytosuccess.com