I am Dr. Hassan, a Board-Certified Physiatrist and Independent Practice Owner. I help physiatrists start and grow their own profitable practices so they can achieve financial independence and live without limits.
When building a profitable practice, you must get out of your own way to get important stuff done. Are you frittering away your day? It sounds like a funny thing to ask, like something your grandmother might say. But think about it. When we become caught up in small nonsensical tasks where we spend the day spinning our wheels, it could very well be said that you’re frittering. Is this something you really want to be doing? Rather than waste your time by doing what’s necessary, why not spend more time in a directed activity designed to help you realize your dreams? In short, would you rather be getting important stuff done, then well, what you’ve been doing?
It’s time to get out of your own way and take charge of your life. Read on for some quick tips to find out how.
1. Remember what you’re fighting for. Too often, we put off tasks that seem pointless. After all, why should we be wasting our time? To combat this, do this one incredibly simple thing: remind yourself why you’re doing it. When you have a purpose, it’s easy to get moving, even if the reason you’re doing it is something small and only meaningful to you.
2. Focus on the goal. Now take things a step further. You know why you’re doing something, now imagine what life will be like once this goal is accomplished. Hone in on the benefit, like how good it will feel to have this completed, or how life will be made simpler once this is finished.
3. Stop comparisons. The entire world grinds to a halt when you start obsessing over what other people are doing instead of focusing on reaching your own goals. The sad truth is, someone will always do it better than you. To get caught up in this game is only going to drive you crazy and keep you from reaching your own important things done. A better choice? Compare where you are now with where you were a year ago or five years ago. Focus on your personal growth and accomplishments and make a new goal of beating the record set by the old you.
4. Drop the perfectionism. Nothing derails you faster than getting caught up in making sure everything is exactly right. For one thing, you’re never going to achieve perfection. So, all you wind up doing is forever nitpicking at something without ever turning the work in. Sometimes you just must tell yourself good enough is okay and let it go so you can move on to the next thing.
5. Indulge in instant gratification. Sometimes it just feels good to have a little reward now and then. Keeping a supply of small treats such as a few minutes playing a favorite game on your phone, or even a tiny candy you like for when you reach those important milestones. You’ll be amazed at what a bump this gives to your productivity
Use these tips to get out of your own way and get things done. Remember your why and stay focused on your goal. Reward yourself along the way when you accomplish a task and refrain from comparing yourself to others or reaching for perfection. You’ll find that you are more productive, wasting less time, and closer to reaching your goals.
It can be hard to move forward when you are always seeking perfection. Check out our blog post here for tips on letting go of perfectionism.
I’m Dr. Hassan, a Board-Certified Physiatrist and Independent Practice Owner. I help physiatrists start and grow their own profitable practices so they can achieve financial independence and live without limits. Please go to businessofrehab.com/guide to pick up the free guide to help you determine the best business entity for your new practice.
Attention, Physiatrists! Stop leaving money on the table. Sign up for the free video series: How To Build A Profitable Practice in 90 Days or Less: http://www.sixtytosuccess.com