Guest Post by Dr. Stephanie
With medicine changing as vastly as it has over the years, locum tenens work has become an attractive option for many doctors. Working as a locum tenens doctor, a latin term roughly translated as “to hold a place,” means that you are working in a temporary position. Whether you are covering for a physician on leave or a position that is looking for a permanent doctor, the benefits of locum tenens work, especially for physiatrists, are endless.
So why are locums not only a viable but a perfect option for physiatrists? Let’s discuss the top 5 reasons below.
- Physiatrists Are In High Demand – For starters, physiatrists are in high demand. Many hospitals are utilizing non-physiatrists to do physiatry work which, as you can imagine, is not ideal for patient care. You are needed much more than you know, which increases your options. You get to choose which jobs you take based on what aligns with your goals.
- Enjoy Increased Pay – Across the board, locum tenens work generally pays more. This is usually because there is a need, and it’s a position that may be hard to fill if it’s temporary or based on its location. This increased pay allows you to put more money aside to pay off student loan debt or save for your children’s college fund.
- Reap Tax Benefits – Oftentimes, working as a locums physician comes with tax benefit. Working as a contracted employee with appropriate business set-up gives you significant tax breaks and ultimately keeps more money in your pocket.
- Craft The Schedule You Desire –You create your own schedule. You can work as little or as much as you like, giving you freedom over your schedule and the ability to set aside time with family and friends.
- Negotiation Power – You have the opportunity to negotiate your rates and get the money that you desire with locums work. Being in high demand makes that even more of a possibility.
Locum tenens work is a great way to add more flexibility and pay to your life.
It is important to always have your contract reviewed, ask for what you want, and make sure everything discussed is in the contract.
To learn more about finding the perfect locums assignment for you as a physiatrist, register to attend the Locums Doc Summit, the only conference of its kind designed by a physician to help you jumpstart your locums career. This virtual, 2 –day, power-packed experience is chock full of invaluable insight and expert secrets about the locums’ industry. To learn more or register, go to https://gd352.isrefer.com/go/Order/DrHassan/