I’m Dr. Hassan, a Board-Certified Physiatrist and Independent Practice Owner. I help physiatrists start and grow their own profitable practices so they can achieve financial independence and live without limits.
The most successful people have mentors guiding their progress. It’s difficult to overestimate the positive influence a mentor can have on your success. Finding a great mentor is a challenge, but it’s worth the work. They can take you places you’ve never been and do so at a breakneck speed. Consider finding a mentor to assist you with your aspirations. Mentors are invaluable for several reasons:
1. A mentor has walked the path. They’ve already accomplished your long-term goals. If your dream is to become a Wall Street tycoon, professional baseball coach, or successful artist, it only makes sense to find someone who has accomplished that same goal. They know the reality of the situation; everyone else is speculating.
2. They have the guidance you need to set appropriate goals. Are you sure about the next step to reach your long-term goals? A mentor would possess that information. You can be enthusiastic, serious, and capable, but your progress would be limited if you’re headed in the wrong direction.
3. You’ll gain the necessary tools and time to use them. Have you ever been in a position that required tools you didn’t have? A mentor will ensure you have the necessary skills before you need them. Most of us decide to learn after we’ve failed. It’s much more effective to be prepared. A mentor will point you in the right direction before it’s too late.
4. You have access to their contacts. An appropriate mentor will be successful and, as a result, will know the right people. The saying, “It’s all about who you know,” is largely true. When everything is equal, people would rather take a chance on someone they know. A mentor can introduce you to the people that can take you to the next level.
5. You receive an unbiased yet experienced opinion. It’s not easy to make the best decisions when your knowledge is lacking. A mentor can fill that gap.
6. A committed mentor will bring you opportunities. A mentor won’t just introduce you to influential people; they will also introduce you to the right opportunities. Once your mentor puts the word out, they will occasionally be presented with opportunities that match your growth needs. They may also seek out opportunities on your behalf.
Find a mentor that’s right for you
Having a mentor has many benefits; however, the obvious question is: How do I find a mentor? Try these strategies:
1. Reach out to the experts in your field. Start at the very top. While it’s unlikely that Bill Gates or Elon Musk will grant your request, you might find they are willing to point you in the right direction. If that doesn’t work, work your way down the list. The perfect mentor is just waiting for someone to ask.
2. Go online. There are websites that connect mentors with those looking for a mentor. One such example is http://www.findamentor.com. There are many other options available.
3. Be prepared to show your level of commitment. A world-class expert might only consider working with someone that’s prepared to change the world. If you’re ambitious and a little more modest, you may need to convince your potential mentor that you’re serious. Everyone’s time is limited, and they all want to spend it wisely.
Mentorship will make it possible for you to achieve success quickly and smoothly. They’ll help you take advantage of the best opportunities and avoid the speed bumps. If you don’t have a mentor, start looking for one today.
Along with having a mentor, it’s great to have a group of individuals in our life who inspire us along our journey. Check out our blog here on mastermind groups and the benefits of having one.
I am Dr. Hassan, Board-Certified Physiatrist and Independent Practice Owner. I help physiatrists start and grow their own independent practice so that they can achieve financial independence and live without limits. Please go to profitablepracticeplan.com to pick up a copy of my book, where I outline the steps on how to build the independent physiatry practice of your dreams.
Attention, Physiatrists! Stop leaving money on the table. Sign up for the free video series: How To Build A Profitable Practice in 90 Days or Less: http://www.sixtytosuccess.com