I’m Dr. Hassan, a Board-Certified Physiatrist and Independent Practice Owner. I help physiatrists start and grow their own profitable practices so they can achieve financial independence and live without limits.
Education is the most powerful weapon you can use to change the field of physiatry. You impart knowledge, describe, facilitate learning, and foster curiosity. You also develop a following and promote further study of the field. Knowing that nurses are a key component in your success as a physiatrist, another place you’ll want to sew seeds is in the nursing schools.
In the U.S., there are more than 996 baccalaureate programs, which can be found by visiting the American Association of Colleges of Nursing online. Most universities have a nursing program. These programs present a unique opportunity to educate the individuals who will be caring for, evaluating, documenting, monitoring, administering medications, consulting with healthcare providers, and educating patients.
You want to explain to the nursing students:
- what the field of physiatry is and what you do
- how nurse’s function in the post-acute care setting
- the different settings you can work with nursing
- how you both can help patients get better and get to a higher level of care
- the common goal of helping patients get better
- the process of transitioning the patient from the acute care hospital to the post-acute care setting
- the insurance authorization process
- how they can advocate for the patients and get them to the correct post-acute care setting
- why they should consult physiatry to assist in disposition and discharge planning
These explanations educate your partners on how they can help patients by getting you involved. Simply do an online search of the American Association of Colleges of Nursing in your particular city or state. Once you locate the nursing schools in your city, go there and find the person in charge of education and curricula. Talk to the nursing staff there to get on the curriculum to present your topic.
Not only is educating nursing students easy to do, but, more importantly, it’s effective.
Check out our blog here on mastermind groups and the benefits of having one.
I am Dr. Hassan, Board-Certified Physiatrist and Independent Practice Owner. I help physiatrists start and grow their own independent practice so that they can achieve financial independence and live without limits. Please go to profitablepracticeplan.com to pick up a copy of my book, where I outline the steps on how to build the independent physiatry practice of your dreams.