I am Dr. Hassan, a Board-Certified Physiatrist and Independent Practice Owner. I help physiatrists start and grow their own profitable practices so they can achieve financial independence and live without limits.
When building your profitable practice, it’s important to be mindful of your beliefs about yourself. Growing up can be difficult. You see other children doing things you’d like to do. Your friends are rolling around effortlessly on bicycles and you’re still on a tricycle. You bravely attempt to ride on two wheels and immediately meet with failure. That delivers a blow to your ego. You feel inferior to your friends and other kids, some of them younger than you. This might cause feelings of jealousy, inadequacy, or envy. This happens occasionally as a child and as an adult, regardless of your age, and can lead to inferiority complex.
If you have feelings of inadequacy constantly, then you may have an inferiority complex. You begin to question your ability at just about everything. You believe most people are more capable and accomplished than you are. If this happens to you frequently, have a talk with a mental health professional. They can let you know if this is a serious problem or if there’s something else at work.
Here are six causes of this mental health issue that can be corrected with therapy and in some cases, medication.
1. Playing the comparison game. How many times do you compare yourself to others? This is a no-win game. You are a unique individual and so is everyone else. Constantly comparing yourself to other people can cause anxiety, self-doubt and feelings of inferiority, which are sometimes not justified.
2. Nothing is good enough. This can start happening as a child. Perhaps you had critical parents, teachers or authority figures in your life. It seemed that no matter how hard you tried, nothing is good enough for them. Even when you thought you created or accomplished something incredible, you got chastised or put down. That childhood experience can lead you to believe that your achievements are never quite good enough as an adult.
3. Isolation due to social misgivings. You feel like you just don’t fit in anywhere. So, you withdraw from society. You incorrectly believe everyone’s watching you, judging and talking about you. So, you pull back from the world and isolate yourself. This is a common cause of an inferiority complex.
4. You believe you were born inferior. This unfortunately happens to some people because of their upbringing, important failures, or some other reasons. They believe they were created as inferior, and there’s nothing they can do to change that.
5. You obsess on negatives. You’re going to fail and you’re going to succeed. Some people can’t get over their losses their failures. They justify that their successes were lucky, and their failures take up all their thoughts. This type of mindset can easily lead to constant feelings of inadequacy.
6. It’s all or nothing. Everything is in either black or white. There are shades of grey everywhere. Don’t believe that the world is a zero-sum game. This causes perfectionist behaviors, and you begin to believe that nothing is good enough where you’re concerned.
Do these resonate with you? If one or more of these causes of an inferiority complex hits home, talk to a mental health professional. There are also free mental resources available online. You’ll discover if there’s need for concern, and what you can do to correct these negative and usually unjustified belief systems.
As an entrepreneur your mental health must be at it’s best. Check out our blog post here for tips on improving your mental health and building mental fortitude.
I’m Dr. Hassan, a Board-Certified Physiatrist and Independent Practice Owner. I help physiatrists start and grow their own profitable practices so they can achieve financial independence and live without limits. Please go to businessofrehab.com/contractnegotiations to pick up the free guide to help you negotiate the contract of your dreams.
Attention, Physiatrists! Stop leaving money on the table. Sign up for the free video series: How To Build A Profitable Practice in 90 Days or Less: http://www.sixtytosuccess.com